Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Brush with Infamy

So, last Sunday I was in the locker room of my gym, the Claremont Club. I had seen him there before, but here he was again, John Yoo, of Office of Legal Counsel fame. Just that morning at breakfast I had been telling Ann, with outrage, that the Bush Administration officials, the torturers, should be fully investigated and then, probably, brought up on charges. So what did I do.

I broke off an animated conversation I was having with three school aged kids about not drowning in the pool and yelled out, "John!" I had never met him, but what the hell, it's a locker room.

"Hey. I heard you went to Episcopal Academy!" A prep school on Philadelphia's Main Line.

"Yeah," he said expectantly.

"I went to Lower Merion."

He looked at me and said, "I guess that account for the Phillies shirt." T-shirt I was wearing, hadn't realized it.

"Yeah," I murmured brilliantly.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I'm a doctor."

He reached out his hand and we shook hands.

So, what's the deal?

Here I was saying "hi" to a war criminal. I can say that as a doctor, I accept and try to help everyone who comes my way. That's one of the things I really like about being a doctor - good role to play. And then, guiltily, it's fun to know someone famous, or infamous. How hypocritical am I?

Budd Shenkin

No comments:

Post a Comment